Exploding Art Mimbulus Mimbletonia style

A blog by Julia Felix about experiences on the CAMS New Media in NYC and Europe study abroad program.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

I don't know. I am maybe a frog.

So today was full of eventfulness, but sadly not very much art. I finally came up with an idea for a project to do this week during our meeting with the Future of the Book people yesterday. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it. It has to do with space and place and objects, and it's really taking a whole bunch of pictures from different angles of the same thing, but in different parts of town. Anyway, this idea was my motivation for going out (on my own! I feel like Elizabeth Bennet or something.) all over town today.

First, I walked down Broadway looking for things to take pictures of. It's a little tricky because the object in my photos has to be something sort of indistinct, like a pole or parking meter, so that it looks like I'm taking pictures of the exact same thing all over town, even though they are different ones. I don't know if that made sense, but if I finish this project, it will. Anyway, I thought there might be something in Central Park, but for some reason I couldn't find Central Park. So I took some other pictures of completely different things instead that have nothing to do with my project.



Then I sort of forgot about looking for Central Park, and just sort of wandered around for a while checking stuff out. I found a neat Japanese market and bought some Asse chocolate because it was funny. I don't have a picture of that, but I could. Anyway, while I was wandering around, I found this:



That made me happy. It was raining though, so I went back to my room, changed into some dry clothes, took a nap (living like an artist! Yeah!) and went out again to see if I could get some dinner and find some more parking meters to take pictures of (my object of the day). I got on the subway, and went to Greenwich Village. Then I had sushi....mmmm. Anyway, the day ended with me going to Times Square to find a parking meter, finding that there were no parking meters at Times Square, and instead I ended up with a bunch of odd pictures and a horrifying video which I have put up for your enjoyment.




Are you having nightmares yet?

So maybe I didn't get much done with my project today, but I suppose the day was not lacking in art. I got some good pictures, made a really short movie, and maybe tomorrow I'll have something even better since I'll be volunteering at the Confluxfestival for a few hours. We'll see.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason that video is scary is because of that spooky music you put on it. Of course I sat there laughing like a crazy person watching it.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, I never actually watched the video of that until today. I think the picture of Cinderella is scarier, personally. Mostly because she looks like she wants to eat my children. You can starve, ash girl!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

frontpage hit counter