Exploding Art Mimbulus Mimbletonia style

A blog by Julia Felix about experiences on the CAMS New Media in NYC and Europe study abroad program.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Greenwich: The Bermuda Triangle of New York

The internet is taking forever, so I’m going to type this out and copy and paste it when the page finally loads. I have no idea why I’m telling you that though.

Today I am a changed woman. If by “I” you mean “my” and if by “a changed woman” you mean “feet really freakin hurt.” So there was no meeting this morning. According to John, he wants to give us Saturdays to stay up all night and party and stuff. So I ended up sleeping until 1pm and then got up to work on my project. Right now, I’m taking a series of photographs of parking meters in different areas. I know it sounds totally lame. But it’ll be cool, I promise. I might also do some kind of mapping thing where I can make a link on google earth where I took the pictures and then people can click on it and watch the actual thing that I made.

I think I just ate a peice of tinfoil.

Back to the story, I started kind of wandering around exploring. I found Washington Square (the place where that arch thingy is) and saw all kinds of awesome street performers. There was a jazz band with a guy who played two trumpets at the same time, a group of middle aged white guys with guitars who were with some crazy homeless black guy who I’m pretty sure just sort of decided to join them on his own accord, and a guy who played drums on buckets and had a whole performance with two other guys. I have some audio (hopefully coming soon) and a picture for each of these three people. Here you go:



Anyway, the guy who was doing drum stuff had this whole huge act and I didn’t get out of the park until it was starting to get dark. I started leaving, and then realized that I had no idea where I had come from, where the nearest subway stop was, or anything. Then I walked for a while and realized I had no idea where I had come from again. So I was wandering around Greenwich Village (which luckily isn’t too creepy) in the dark with no idea where I was going or where I should go, for about an hour and a half. I finally got really tired and thirsty and stopped in a Starbucks to get something to drink and ask for directions. The lady told me to go down 12th street and go right until I got to Rudolph street or something like that, and there would be a subway stop somewhere really obvious. So I sat down and drank my strawberry frappuccino thing, and this lady came in who totally looked like a prostitute in a silver sequine ultra short dress, silver platform shoes, and with a pound of eye makeup on, and then I left to finally get to the subway. I walked down 12th street, turned right, and the next thing I know, I’m on 4th street.....What!? So I turned around, and decided that I must not have gone far enough down 12th street. So I started going back, and then suddenly I’m on 10th street. So to get out of this, I picked this other street that was going in the direction that I had come from. But then I ended up somewhere that looked totally wrong. Where the hell was I??? I don’t know. I might never know. Anyway, I started seeing things that looked familiar from the last few times I’ve been down there, so I sort of walked around there until I found a different subway station (the one on Christopher street instead of 14th street) that I knew would take me to the place I needed to go.

I got back alright, but I am never going to Greenwich Village without some kind of map ever again. Seriously, that place is like the bermuda triangle.

Anyway, that’s it for today I think. My feet hurt, I’m sleepy, and I think there’s some kind of meeting in the morning tomorrow. I have a picture that I plan on putting up on this post if I can figure out how to make it. Otherwise, There will probably be a new post tomorrow, as usual. Until then....
UPDATE: Here's my pictures/music clips from Washington Square. The first part I was just trying to make exciting. As you will see, I totally did. The next part was based on an idea from my sister, and the last part is just something to keep you entertained. Here you go:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia, I'm not having any luck with this video. It just sits there and claims it's "loading" like for weeks. Don't know whose problem that is.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

It works for me, but it is all screwed up with the sizing and things. Google video was being difficult that day so I had to use youtube, which this page isn't formatted for or something. Try it again in a few days and it might work better.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

frontpage hit counter