Exploding Art Mimbulus Mimbletonia style

A blog by Julia Felix about experiences on the CAMS New Media in NYC and Europe study abroad program.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

This post is kind of boring.

I have no idea how to describe today. It was very hectic and nothing happened all at the same time. This morning we left at 9:45 to meet with a guy from Anthology Film Archives down in Soho. Unfortunately, we took the 3 express train instead of the 2, and ended up not being able to stop on Houston street like we intended. John seemed kind of upset about this and we ended up walking (kind of quickly) all the way back up to Houston. Some people had gotten off the train on 14th street and got there before us, so at least we had someone to say that we were on our way. There were also a few people who weren't in our train car when John realized we had gone too far, and we lost them too. I guess they figured it out alright though, because they eventually showed up.

When we finally got to Anthology, we watched about six movies, all avant garde. They were a little bit weird, but in general interesting to look at, or listen to, or think about, depending on what it was. There were a couple by Stan Brakhage, who I hear is a very very very famous avant garde filmmaker. Personally, I'm not sure if I LIKE that style of filmmaking, but it is kind of interesting. These films in particular were especially interesting since they are apparently pretty difficult to find and aren't shown publicly very often. So thank you Anthology guys for at least showing me something I've never seen and probably will never get the chance to see again.

Afterwards, we got to wander around Soho a little bit and eat lunch before meeting the famous John Canemaker, an Academy Award winning animator who runs the animation department at Tisch. It was a little depressing going over there and seeing all the cool film stuff they have at NYU. I'm missing the chance to major in Cinema Media Studies by one year, and even then, I doubt the department will be anywhere near that developed. It kind of just got me thinking again about whether things would have turned out better for me if I had known I wanted to do film stuff before fall term Sophmore year. But I don't know how I could have known that before then, so I end up wanting to regret something but not being able to. So now I'm just kind of sad but in a confused sort of a way. Oh well.

I had written a bunch of stuff about how much I like New York here, but then the internet exploded and all that was left of my post (so glad there's a "recover post" option) was this last paragraph and everything before it. Luckily, that was pretty much all the important things I had to say anyway. Well, I'm going to go now and sleep. My article on Chris Barr is supposed to be very roughly drafted by tomorrow night so someone can look over it. So I will write more tomorrow. Hopefully it will be more interesting, and there might actually be some pictures.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My studio professor from first year has a son who is majoring in film at NYU. At least I'm pretty sure it's film. So yeah, you don't want to go there, because you might accidentally meet his son and run into his dad, who was a pretty horrible teacher.

There, NYU problem solved.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

frontpage hit counter